old air compressor

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: old air compressor
From: "philip (p.) locker" <locker@bnr.ca>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 12:35:00 -0500
Hello Shop-talkers!

My father in-law is getting on in years, and soon will be moving to an
apartment.  That means his shop tools will be up for grabs.  Not that I'm
waiting over him like a vulture, but....
(His retirement hobby/business was working in wrought-iron)

His air compressor is of unknown vintage.  It has a horizontal tank (on wheels)
of about 60 or 80 gallons.  It has a 1hp electric motor belt driving a 2
cylinder compressor.

My needs in an air compressor are:
- ability to use it for spray painting
- minor sand blasting (auto body & small parts)
- driving a few air tools
In general, it will be used for auto hobbyist stuff.

Will this 1hp compressor just frustrate me?
Do you think the compressor itself could withstand being driven by a
larger electric motor?

All opinions are welcome (sorry I was only able to provide a general
description of the compressor and not many details)

Phil
Phil Locker             |  email::myOpinion(){    | "with God as my witness,
Bell-Northern Research  |    meSpeak = TRUE;      |  I thought turkeys could
locker@bnr.ca           |    bnrSpeak = FALSE; }  |  fly"  Arthur Carlson