Re: BOUNCE shop-talk: Non-member submission from [Matt Wehland <mwehland

To: shop-talk@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: BOUNCE shop-talk: Non-member submission from [Matt Wehland <mwehland@webtripper.com>]
From: Brian Kelley <bkelley@ford.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 1996 10:10:19 EST
Matt Wehland writes:

> I am looking for opinions on an electric grinder.  What I am planning
> on using it for is mild head porting(very mild as I am
> inexperienced, but willing to learn) and polishing of wheels,
> cleaning up welds, paint stripping and such.  Any ideas of a decent
> grinder?  What to look for and what to run from?

I'd say you're looking for a die grinder, not a "grinder".  At least I
think of disk grinders when you say "grinder".

I have a Makita die grinder that works well.  I've been happy with it.
The Craftsman grinders seem to be okay, though I've never owned one and
the bodies are a fair bit larger than the Makita.  Makita also sells
a professional die grinder for a fair bit more money.  My Dad has one
but I haven't had a chance to compare it to my standard model.

For the work you describe I strongly suggest you also purchase a
variable speed control.  They use a feedback circuit to control speed
and will allow you to run at lower speeds without losing torque.  The
work you describe requires speeds slower than 25K for good tool
control, cutter life and efficient cutting.  They're about $50 and are
often sold as Router Speed controls.

  Brian

--
bkelley@ford.com