Re: Phase converters

To: Andy Banta <Andy.Banta@Eng.Sun.COM>
Subject: Re: Phase converters
From: James R Ferguson <jferg@twave.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 96 20:40:57 -0500
At 09:59 PM 1/23/96 -0800, you wrote:

>So, after a little story-telling, I'm interested to know if anyone
>else has any expereince with phase converters, mechanical or
>solid-state, and any stories, comments, or recommendations.
>
>andy
>banta@abingdon.sun.com

I designed and sold some mobile equipment about 15 years ago that the
Telephone Co on Colorado wanted to power three phase 3 hp manhole water
pumps.  I used a rotary converter to convert a portion of the output from a
7.5 KW engine generator to power the 3-phase pump.  It worked great.  They
also could use the regular single phase blowers and tools etc.  I don't
remember where I got the converter but I looked like a big motor and was
expensive.  It was built for duty on a center pivot irrigation system.  It
was very durable and handled  heavy starting losds with no problem.

-----
Jim Ferguson