Re: Toe-in

To: ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us
Subject: Re: Toe-in
From: Veeduber@aol.com
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 05:37:15 -0500
In a message dated 96-01-18 23:32:14 EST Phil Ethier (single arrow) commented
on my excerpts from my earlier message on Toe-in (double arrows)

>>...  On older vehicles having king-pin style steering spindles,
>> where camber is set by stacks of shims,
>
>The method of setting camber has nothing to do with whether the spindle
>uses kingpins or ball joints.  Or, for that matter, trunnions.

This statement is untrue when applied to Volkswagens having king-pin front
suspension, and to several other makes using link-/king-pin spindles, and to
all Volkswagengs having ball-joint/torsion bar front suspension systems.
 Perhaps it applies to the SAAB :-)

>> adjusting the shim stack always
>> causes a slight change in toe-in which should then be reset.
>
>Yes.  Also, many shim changes will also affect caster.

This is not clear, unless Phil is referring to shimming the torsion tube
housing.  On Volkswagens, caster is normally not adjustable, although it may
be adjusted as part of collision repairs through the use of shims.  The shim
stack used to adjust camber however, is a common maintenance item and has no
effect on caster, although toe-in may be effected and must always be checked
following a link-pin adjustment.

>> I do not know
>> of any ball-joint type suspensions that permit such adjustments;
>
>Nonsense.  SAAB 93, 95, 96, 97, 99 and for all I know 900 series too.
>Dunno about SAAB 9000.  Might be (ugh) MacPherson.

As I said, I do not know of any ball-joint type suspensions that permit such
adjustments. I have never worked on a SAAB.  Nor an Apperson Jackrabbit.  The
SAAB is among the several hundred brands of automobile with which I've had no
experience.  And while there is indeed a nonsensical factor here but I don't
believe it applies to my original statement.

>How do you set camber on a Chevy pickup?  Or don't you?

If you can be more specific with regard to year, I'll be happy to dig out the
information and explain the procedure to you, although my General Motors
experience is limited to GMC trucks, older ones for the most part.

>Phil "this may not be shop talk?" Ethier

-Bob