Re: Toe-in

To: Veeduber@aol.com
Subject: Re: Toe-in
From: Phil Ethier <ethier@freenet.msp.mn.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 1996 22:31:43 -0600 (CST)
> your toe-in.  On older vehicles having king-pin style steering spindles,
> where camber is set by stacks of shims,

The method of setting camber has nothing to do with whether the spindle
uses kingpins or ball joints.  Or, for that matter, trunnions.

> adjusting the shim stack always
> causes a slight change in toe-in which should then be reset.

Yes.  Also, many shim changes will also affect caster.

> I do not know
> of any ball-joint type suspensions that permit such adjustments;

Nonsense.  SAAB 93, 95, 96, 97, 99 and for all I know 900 series too.
Dunno about SAAB 9000.  Might be (ugh) MacPherson.

How do you set camber on a Chevy pickup?  Or don't you?

Phil "this may not be shop talk?" Ethier