Anvil stumps

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Anvil stumps
From: Veeduber@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 1996 12:37:50 -0500
I've found certain varieties of eucalyptus to be a good alternative to oak or
ash.  Unfortunately there are over 100 varieties of eucalyps now growing in
California and I've no idea as to their names.  We have four varieties here
on property and my present anvil base came from one of the big ones.  ('Big'
= over 100' tall when we cut it back.)  It is about 4' through the trunk.  I
used a section of limb about 16" in diameter, chain-sawed to bring the anvil
to the required knuckle height.  That base was a replacement for one with
about 15 years service, starting to get a bit tatty at the bottom from being
soaked with water each winter.  It too was eucalyptus but from a different
variety.

I understand the Australians have a few eucalyptus trees :-)  Perhaps we can
get the definitive word on its use as an anvil base from Down Under.

-Bob