rolls-bentley

Haynes manuals

To: rolls-bentley@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Haynes manuals
From: "Richard J. H. Shears" <richard@shears.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 17:22:18 +0100
I finally got hold of both US and UK Haynes manuals listings, including
out-of-date listings.  All Shadow manuals are out of print, and have
been since 1993.  This seems pretty dumb to me as it is surely now more
than ever that these manuals are in most need.  Whoever it was that said
they'd consulted both UK and US websites - perhaps you'd like to publish
the URL's on this list so everyone can lobby Haynes for a re-print.  I
think it's about time they did a Spirit one too, seeing as the model is
now 17 years old and thus well into the DIY enthusiast's domain.  The
low volume will probably be a problem for Haynes - far fewer Spirits and
derivates were sold than Shadows/derivates.

I will, as mentioned in previous postings, keep an eye out for these
manuals at village fetes, book fairs, second-hand book shops etc.  There
are a couple of companies in Ross-on-Wye (the centre of the universe for
second-hand books) which will get you almost anything for a price, and
for something like a Shadow manual the price is likely to be modest.

***But (there's always a 'but') - they like to have an ISBN.  If anyone
has the ISBN for either the early or the late Shadow manual or both,
please tell me.***

I intend to buy the manuals first, and then ask if there's a need for
them once I've got them.  I'm pretty sure there will be.  If there's
anyone on this list closer to Ross-on-Wye than I am please pipe up:  I
only make an annual pilgrimage there for incunabula, and if it's
convenient for you to nip across sooner than September, I'm sure many
list members will cross your palm with silver to get the manuals sooner
rather than later.

I expect the price of second-hand manuals to be less than the cost of
photocopying them; however, if I get hold of a copy and there is demand
for six - well, it just happens that I have a photo-quality copier here.
(I can blow wiring diagrams up to A2 size, still photo-quality, as well
if desired.)

I will ask the list whether they wish me to come clean on their behalf
and get a copying licence from Haynes (or just do it...), when the
situation arises.

---

It's been quiet.  Is everyone up to their elbows in
brakes/gearboxes/etc. or just enjoying the summer driving season?

Still desperately seeking Spirits,

richard@shears.org

Wantage, Oxfordshire, England