Re: [oletrucks] Radiators

To: Mike & Inez Plucker <impluck@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Radiators
From: Bill Bailey <bill@oletruck.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:33:00 -0400
Actually it won't divide 50/50 exactly as there will always be  more
resistance in one line than in the other. At very high current (I am not
familiar with how much current these fans draw) even tenths of an ohm
can make a difference.
The problem is not just in aftermarket. I have been fighting a melting
connecter in the taillight circuit of my 98 Silverado for a couple of
years now.
Resistance is what generates heat and makes connectors melt. The
connectors are probably crimped on the ends of the wire and that makes
for a "resistive spot" and causes heat that  melts the plastic
surrounding it.
If the connector were soldered it should help alleviate this problem.
As you suggested the wire size plays a factor as well. You need to know
how much current the circuit is drawing and then using wire tables such
as are found at www.belden.com , you can look up the circular mils/amp
for different wires sizes and pick appropriately. Bigger CM/A is better.
I have even seen some wire tables that tell you how much current a wire
can handle at 25 degrees C ambient but be aware that underhood temps are
going to be much higher than that so you would probably want to increase
a size or two just to be conservative.