[oletrucks] tie rod ends

To: oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: [oletrucks] tie rod ends
From: wayne osborne <wayne@chevytrucks.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 01:29:34 -0500
I carried the steering arms to our machine shop today to remove the balls
the tie rods ends connects to. I heeded the advice with this task first by
grinding off the bradded end, drilling a small hole first working up to
larger sizes so it could be punched out. I had a nice size hammer/sledge,
large punch, pounded on it quiet a few times but no movement. About that
time the head machinist came in inquired as to my dilemma, then offered his
experience. He took the ball, clamped it in a large vise. He then grabbed
the opposite end of the arm, gave it a sharp whack with a smaller hammer
which broke the seal, then we were able to punch it out with little effort.
We did both in about 20 minutes and thought it was worth sharing.    --wayne

Wayne Osborne
http://www.chevytrucks.org
http://www.chevytrucks.org/wayne