[oletrucks] Steering box lube - give me your best answers please.

To: "Oletrucks" <oletrucks@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Steering box lube - give me your best answers please.
From: "William Schickling" <wschick1@twcny.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:01:43 -0500
My grandmother didn't protect her secret recipes this closely.

I will quote from my shop manual '...additions should be made using a
lubricant which, at low temperatures, is fluid and will not "channel" or
cause "hard steering" and which will provide satisfactory lubrication under
extreme summer conditions'

I'll take that to Auto Zone to see what they say!

Ok. I went to the archives and searched with limited results. I did find one
email where someone mentioned ordering this cosmic elixir from a company
called Restoration Supply in San Diego.

The chevytrucks.org has a page on steering boxes and gear lube.

http://www.chevytrucks.org/tech/steering.htm

What does everyone use in their steering box for lubrication? mine is
freshly rebuilt with new bushings and bearings. The box is ventilated so the
new lubrication won't squeeze past the new seals. I'm ready to make sure it
stays in like new condition for years with the right (If I only knew what it
was) lubricant.

Thanks for reading this far and especially if you click on reply with an
answer.

Bill Schickling