RE: [oletrucks] Starter problems

To: "Bill Bailey" <bill@oletruck.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Starter problems
From: "Hanlon, Bill (ISS Houston)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:03:40 -0500
I asked the tech the same question.  He said that my commutator looked
pretty good and he guessed that the main problem was the bushings which
were a little sloppy and were allowing the armature to sit off center.
Another symptom I did not mention in my earlier e-mail was that the
starter sometimes would turn over, but made a growling noise and spun
slower than normal.

I'm a "try one thing at a time until I figure out what is wrong" type of
person.  They are more of a "shotgun everything" and get it out of here
quick type shop.  Of course, if they are going to have minimal warrantee
returns they want to replace all likely parts, even though some of those
parts seem OK now.

I did the slot car thing back in the early 60's too.