RE: [oletrucks] Starter problems

To: "Hanlon, Bill \(ISS Houston\)" <bill.hanlon@hp.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Starter problems
From: "Bill Bailey" <bill@oletruck.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 10:53:25 -0400
>>For $53 they put in new bushings, new solenoid, another set of brushes
>>and turned the commutator.  Had it done in an hour and a half.  Works
>>great.

What do you think fixed it? Was the commuatator badly out of round? The
bushing allowing too much play in the shaft? Or maybe the springs that
tension the brushes were weak?
Years ago I used to race electric model cars and we would see similar type
malfunctions in those little motors after they had a lot of races on'em. We
had little comm lathes that we would use to cut them down and you could also
get replacement bearings (the *good* race motors had bearings instead of
bushings) and replacement brush springs as well. It was amazing (and
embarassing) how much I spent on those cars. :)

Bill Bailey
Hagerstown, MD
1957 Chevrolet 1/2 ton
http://www.oletruck.com