Re: [oletrucks] Interesting old 'burb'

To: Old Trucks List <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Interesting old 'burb'
From: J Forbes <jforb@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:02:09 -0700
> http://www.chevytrucks.org/temp/junkyardburb.jpg
> Can anyone ID this beast??...

The main body looks an awful lot like the 40 LaSalle hearse in my yard!
  The hood gives it away as a postwar Buick, search the net for "1946
buick" and you'll see pics of one.

My guess is it's a 46 or thereabouts Buick hearse or ambulance, which
could have been converted to a bus.  It is a car based vehicle, not
truck based, so it's not really a Suburban at all.  Back then the
hearses were "conversions" where the wheelbase was stretched and much of
the body behind the cowl was hand made.  The LaSalle body has a lot of
wood in it, which was not used in regular GM Fisher bodies after 1936.

If anyone is interested in building a LaSalle hearse, let me
know....it's been sitting in AZ for years waiting for someone with some
motivation to make it into a killer ride (lousy pun).

--
Jim

Visit the Selectric Typewriter Museum!
http://www.mindspring.com/~jforbes2