[oletrucks] Re: Leaking Rochester 1bbl. Any cure?

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: Leaking Rochester 1bbl. Any cure?
From: Dave <dave@juniorbaseball.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:56:45 -0800
Hi:
It's Dave with my son Dusty's 1950 GMC 1/2 ton. We just rebuilt the head on
the 235 six in the truck and got a replacement rebuilt carb from BFCI in
Burbank. As soon as we bolted it together and idled the motor for several
minutes, the main body gasket began getting moist and slightly seeping.
  This is the THIRD remanufactured carb we put on here. I checked the fuel
pump pressure - 6 lbs. Shouldn't be too excessive for a brand new needle and
seat. I spoke with Jim Carter's about it, and they admitted that most of the
remanufactured carbs they sell will leak there too. Almost ever one of those
old carbs have been rebuilt several times already, and over-tightened and
warped slightly at the mating surfaces. This allows those leaks.
  Any solutions, short of sealing it up with JB Weld??
  Also - who makes the best door rubber seals that FIT? The set we installed
during restoration (can't remember which catalog we ordered them from!) are
too thick and the doors don't close all the way flush. And they never
compressed as promised.

Thanks,

Dave Destler