[oletrucks] Welding (long)

To: ole trucks list <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: [oletrucks] Welding (long)
From: Jon Dalton <novawagonmaster@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:59:17 -0800 (PST)
Hi Gang,
After reading the threads on poor quality of
paid-for-services (body shops, welding shops, machine
shops, etc), I decided it was about time I learned how
to weld. Bought a torch set and Lincoln stick welder
from local Lowes, and Oxy/Acetylene tanks from local
welding shop. Picked up the "Welder's Handbook" and
sat down for some quality reading.

I gotta tell you guys...ANYONE can do this! I only
regret I did not learn to do it 15 years ago. Puting
in the 220 line to power the welder was harder than
learning to use the equipment!

After making some practice "art", I built a welding
cart to hold the torch and tanks (second day after
reading the book). I next built a small utility
trailer (about a week later). I am now confident
enough to weld in the FatMan's independent front end
on my '48, and, instead of buying a Chassis Works rear
clip, I am going to scratch-build my own. I have found
myself lying awake at night thinking about other
things to build/fabricate. The possibilities are
endless!

Get out there and learn guys...it's a great feeling of
accomplishment, and I am grateful I have all of you to
share it with. Without the inspiration gathered from
these lists, I would still be paying to much for
"bolt-on" type stuff instead of fabricating my own, or
at least buying a "weld-on" kit!

Thank you all for lighting the fire under my butt (I
realized that just opened the door for the "lighting
farts" thread, sorry!).

Later,
Jonboy
'23 T-bucket (project with father-in-law)
'46 Chevy Pickup (original/unrestored)
'48 Chevy Pickup (pro-street project)
'53 Chevy 6400 (original/restored)
'72 Datsun 510 wagon (original/unrestored)
'91 Chevy Caprice (winter beater)
'93 Chevy Suburban 2wd (tow rig)
'99 Honda Odyssey (wife's kid hauler)
'01 Yamaha R6 (wheelie machine)
'01 Yamaha RoadStar 1600 (cruiser)
'04 Yamaha SXViper (is it wrong to play in the snow?)