Re: [oletrucks] Bad Advice - U-joint failure

To: tim <lloydt@Colorado.EDU>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Bad Advice - U-joint failure
From: "Jack Halton"<safesix@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:21:21 -0700
Replacement lock plates are available from Jim Carter's for $2.30 each, and
I'm pretty sure the U-joint repair kits come with new ones. Loctite is a good
idea too, but these joints really take a beating. Use the lock plates, or at
least lock washers.

I appreciate the torque tube design. It's advantages are many. Torque tubes
are still used by Aston Martin, Jaguar and other exotic cars, so there is no
doubt it's an efficient design. What I don't like about it is that it can be
very labor-intensive when parts start wearing out, and costly to repair, not
to mention the fact that very few mechanics these days are familiar with
torque tubes. Also, You're stuck with a very limited transmission and rear
axle selection. For a pure stock restoration, a torque tube is great, assuming
it's not worn out, leaking, or buggered up by a PO.

Re: Safety wiring, agreed it's a great solution and I've used it on my British
bikes for years. But it does require some extra work and care to do right.
Overkill for a torque tube U-joint IMHO.

Jack
www.inliners.org

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 10:56:44 -0600 (MDT) tim <lloydt@Colorado.EDU> wrote:

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002, Jack Halton wrote:

> Anyone who advocates removing the crossmember  does not understand the role
> played by all the components in a closed driveline system. The crossmember
not
> only supports the tranny but stiffens the chassis. I would be very leery of
> accepting advice from this dealer, including the one about drilling U-joint
> bolts for wire. The lock plates work fine as long as they're replaced
anytime
> the U-joint is disturbed.

Thanks for the advice.  I'll be putting the crossmember back in just as
soon as I get new bolts for it (the old ones are all kinds of rusted).

As far as the U-joint bolts, will Lok-Tite work instead of the lock
plates?  I only have one lock plate, which is what caused the problem in
the first place.

Tim Lloyd, lloyd@lasp.colorado.edu
"Humanity has advanced, when it has advanced, not because it has been
sober, responsible, and cautious, but because it has been playful,
rebellious, and immature." -- Tom Robbins
"The eyes of the world now look into space, to the moon and to the
planets beyond, and we have vowed that we shall not see it governed
by a hostile flag of conquest, but by a banner of freedom and peace."
-- John F. Kennedy