Re: [[oletrucks] Retro-fitting]

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [[oletrucks] Retro-fitting]
From: Scot Stockton <auriclux@usa.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:16:25 -0700
Jack,

> Hi, I have a 51 GMC 1 ton,single rear wheel, farm truck with hoist, that I
would like to retro-fit with an early 90"s 3/4 ton running gear (350 engine &
standard-shift tranny,so I have a PTO outlet for the hoist) & front
suspension, steering, brakes etc. I plan on building a flat-bed for it, intead
of the grain box. Does anybody know what surprises I will encounter? Will
gauges be a problem? Is this a good candidate for what I want or is something
else better suited?

Well, I kinda went the other way - '59 3/4 now with 80's 1-ton legs.  Now, I
have gone 4x4 so that the steering had to be redesigned, but if you're staying
2x4, I'd suggest keeping the front axle, adapting the wheels if needed and
matching the springs.

As far as axle width, it all depends on the details, but I'm guessing that
differences can be made up by wheel offset.  Others have opinions on this?

Others will have to speak to gauges - I pulled all mine out (what was left) so
the electrical is all new 12V.  Were 51's 6V?  If you want to keep your
present gauges, somebody must make a 6V alternator.  If not, I'll bet that an
electrical shop can wind you up a 6V puppy.

Which tranny were you thinking?

Scot