Re: [oletrucks] Intake manifold leak

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Intake manifold leak
From: "Allen Jones" <jonesal@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 08:59:18 -0700
I assume you checked both the head and manifolds for warpage upon return
from the machinist - this can be a problem.  Let your straight edge tell
you.  I find that a bead of a sealant (my favorite is Zep Fast Gasket)
applied on both sides of the gasket will almost ensure an acceptable seal.
I'm not sure if the GMC manifolds are the same as Chevs, but I find it
useful to bolt both manifolds to the head with the heat connection loose
(bolts in place, hand tightened, then back off one turn), then tighten the
heat connection last.  If there is major misalignment between the two
manifolds, something is wrong.  It helps if there are 4 hands to do the job.
I'm pretty sure this is discussed in detail in the archives.  You can go
there for the long version.

Good luck.

Allen in Seattle
'50 3100