RE: [oletrucks] Generator

To: "'Ric McAnulty'" <ric_mcanulty@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] Generator
From: "William Gray" <william.gray@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:38:15 -0400
The only change required is the regulator (and the little stuff like
light bulbs and gauges, maybe starter, people say not), the generator
will work fine with a 12 V regulator.  The generator's output is a
particular voltage at a particular speed; the regulator determines what
voltage goes to the battery, the excess electrons go to ground.

I've never converted a truck, but did a Harley.  I'd been avoiding the
conversion because I thought I'd need a 12V generator as well as all the
other stuff.  An old (well, older than me) Ford/Harley mechanic
convinced me the conversion would work with the so-called 6V generator,
so I bought the 12V regulator, coil and light bulbs I needed (not much
stuff on a bike) and have been running the 12V system 15 years on the
old generator; no problems and much better lighting.

Bill Gray
william.gray@snet.net