[oletrucks] Re: 63-87 1/2 ton IFS suspension upgrade

To: <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>, <steve@dotcomgeeks.com>
Subject: [oletrucks] Re: 63-87 1/2 ton IFS suspension upgrade
From: "Steve Andereggen Jr." <chevy3100@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2002 20:14:39 -0700
I took the crossmember to a local machine shop and took out an 1 5/8" out of
the center with a plasma cutter.  I wathed as they did this and took about
15-20 min for both cuts.  I then drilled a bunch of holes near the new cuts
on both cross member halves so that when I plate the inside of the
crossmember, I weld through the holes that I drilled.  Once one side is
plated and all holes are ground smooth, I then shoehorn the plated half into
the other half and install on the frame for fit.  I have found that doing
this step with the frame upside down is much easier than right side up.  All
the weight of the crossmember is resting on the frame and not on jacks
holding the crossmember up.  Once both halves are aligned on the frame rails
I then mark and drill mounting holes.  I then bolt both halves to the frame
rails and sinch both halves together and weld the other half the plates as
before.  Once both sides are welded in this manner I then add some more
plates to the outher surface for extra strength.  If you do it right, it
just might look like a factory job.  As for the steering linkage goes,  I
shortened the link between bothe the pitman arm and idler arm so that each
arm is parallel to the other.  also, you want to leave enough space for that
link to move in front of the crossmember.  I added about an 1/2" plate on
either side of the frame to mount the steering box on one side and the
ideler arm on the other.  The steering box will be mounted all the way up
front on the frame rail so the driver side bumper bracket needs to be
modified.  As I said earlier, The stock coil springs set the front end about
3-4" higher than stock hight.  You can get lowering springs, dropped
spindles or as I did put air bages in.  I have not yet added a sway bar but
plan to very soon.  I will let you know how that goes when I get there.  Any
questions?

Steve Jr.
1950 Chevy 3100