Re: [oletrucks] Intake/Exhaust port matching

To: Grant.Williams@kirtland.af.mil, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Intake/Exhaust port matching
From: TOUCANMAN@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 10:52:27 EST
In a message dated 2/13/02 8:36:21 AM Pacific Standard Time,
Grant.Williams@kirtland.af.mil writes:

<< Question: Does anyone have stories (pro/con) regarding the aftermarket
 intakes that do not use the intake alignment rings?

 I'm almost ready to install 4 brl carb intake and Fenton headers.  Since
 most performance applications suggest match porting, I'm concerned about
 matching up the head ports with the new intake/exhaust setup.

hello Grant, unles your lucky enough to have some original fentons(very
unlikely) you probobly got the modern  recasts with fenton logo ,these are
made by Patricks in arizona.if there going on a GMC its a lot of extra
work,as these are chevy fenton casts modified to sorta fit a gmc .in its day
fenton had a different cast for chevy strait sixes and another for the
gmc's...so on the gmc you realy need to do some(a lot) port grinding to match
these up..you may also need to make or modify by welding two thick
intake/exhaust washers  together and grinding them to form thicker washer on
one side  to match the thick fenton flanges on one side  to the thickness of
the  intake  flanges on the other side( i used an old mcgurk intake) you may
get lucky.im an amatuer and this took me days to acomplish after work....i
used the eastwood silver or aluminum high heat header coating on the intake
and the cast gray on the headers(brush on ) its been holding up real well
,but its not a daily driver......it was a lot of work but the results realy
put a smile on my face ,i get lots of nice comments and it realy sounds
nice..... that old 228 perked right up....steve
ps my 228 head has small ports and the mcgurk intake has large ports so i
didnt use any alingment  rings.