FW: [oletrucks] TF DOORS

To: "Old Trucks List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: [oletrucks] TF DOORS
From: "Ernie Ganas" <Ernie_Ganas@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:02:44 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: joe [mailto:chevy1@jps.net]
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2001 7:22 AM
To: Ernie_Ganas@msn.com
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] TF DOORS

Ernie,

The first thing you need to do is remove the door striker from the jam and
determine if the door will close fully with the striker removed.  If it
does, then all you need to do is readjust the striker.  If the door still
doesn't close evenly then you need to determine what is causing the binding.
I go about it in this manner:

1)  I remove the door striker.

2)  I adjust the door so the body seams on the door line up with the front
and rear of the cab.  If they aren't already aligned.

3)  Open the door and grasp it at the lower back edge and the upper back
edge and try raising the door to see if their is play in the hinge pins.  If
the door moves have someone look at the hinge to see which one is the
culprit and fix the pins before going on.

4)  With the hinges fixed, then slowly close the door until it starts to
contact the cab and see if either the top or bottom of the door is contact
the cab before the other.  You could have the door not installed vertically
and one side is hitting first and keeping the other open a bit.

You have a slight adjustment in the hinge to cab bolts to allow you to move
the door inward or outward at the top or bottom.   The factory also calls
for bending the hinge "twisting it" to get the door to align with the cab
but I've never found that necessary.

The door to hinge bolts are the ones that allow you to move the door forward
or back in the cab opening.

The hinge to cab "cowl bolts" allow you to raise and lower the door in the
opening but also allow you to tilt the door inward or outward at the top or
bottom.

Hope this helps!

Joe
The Resto Rod Shop