Re: [oletrucks] Offtopic : Any compressor experts? Sears 2 hp

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Offtopic : Any compressor experts? Sears 2 hp
From: Bruce Kettunen <bekett@uslink.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:06:02 -0600
These things are pretty simple, like a Lawn Boy mower engine without
the carb and electrical system.  Couple things to check:

1.  If it has drive belts, are they there and tight?

2.  If it has an internal coupling between the motor and compressor
is the coupling ok?

Otherwise, take the head off and start it to make sure the piston
has no holes and is going up and down, and that the valves haven't
frozen.  I would especially look at the suction valves.

One other possibility, the foam piece is an air cleaner.  If the
PO ran it a long time without the filter (did he take it off because
it plugged up too fast?) the rings on the piston may be worn out
and it may not be able to build any pressure.

Hope this helps,

Bruce Kettunen
57 3200
Mt. Iron, MN

At Saturday, 24 February 2001, you wrote:

>Well, I finally opened up a big enough hole in the "stuff" filling my
>garage ( only took a year...) to be able to allow me to do some
work in the
>garage itself, and on some of my tools. I had bought a used Sears 2 hp
>electric two-cylinder air compressor at an auction last year, had
fired it
>up, but noticed there was no line on it to block off the air, so
I just let
>it sit while I've been busy. I got all the fittings hooked up tonite,
got an
>air line installed, and fired it up once again. No pressure, and
I mean I
>feel NOTHING coming out the outlet from the shut-off valve. Turned
the main
>valve in all the way, half way, and as far out 'til it got loose,
meaning it
>should have been closed all the way. No air pressure, guage didn't
budge.
>Noticed there were no foam? air filters on top, the little intake
valves were
>making some noise. I cut some foam I had laying around to put over
top, the
>noise pretty much stopped. So, either the pistons may have holes
in them, or
>there's something else stopping it from building pressure. Anyone know
>anything specific to check on these ? I noticed a plate on top of the
>cylinders, just above the main air line into the tank. I'm thinking
about
>removing that to see if there's some kind of valves inside there,
might be
>stuck open, etc. Or the main cut-off valve isn't releasing, but
I would think
>the engine would lug some once it built some pressure, but it just
keeps
>turning over at the same rate, when I unplug it, it  stops gradually,
like
>there's no pressure to stop it from turning, or maybe no compression?
Any way
>to check " compression " on these compressor heads? I already have
a very
>old, very small cast-iron 1/2 hp compressor, and a 5 hp 60 gal.
upright, but
>this is a nice medium sized unit. Only paid $20-25 for it, I think,
so I am
>willing to invest some money to fix it. If anyone has any ideas
or helpful
>suggestions so I can look at it again tomorrow, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!