Re: [oletrucks] alternator or generator?

To: "OLETRUCK list" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] alternator or generator?
From: "Boteler Family" <boteler@olg.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 21:44:05 -0500
Carl, your truck originally had a 6 volt Generator, which generates DC
voltage and required an external voltage regulator.  The first year for 12
volt was 1955 .  Generators are shaped like a coffee can (smooth steel
cylinder).  Alternators are much larger in diameter and shorter in length
and they are normally made of cast aluminum.  Alternators make AC voltage
then convert it to DC through rectifiers, most have internal voltage
regulators.  If you have an alternator NAPA should be able to help, they can
also get generator parts for you.

Hope this helps,

Mike Boteler
'56 8400 Wrecker