Re: [oletrucks] ?'s for 350/350 combo install in a 50 3100

To: RobXR250@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] ?'s for 350/350 combo install in a 50 3100
From: TORODRVR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 09:45:28 EST
In a message dated 02/20/2001 8:48:22 PM Mountain Standard Time,
RobXR250@aol.com writes:

<< I have a 350/350 combo im going to install in my 50 3100 soon and i have a
 few questions about it:

 1) Do i remove both of the original cross members and bolt in the new ones?
 Both are the tubular type from Chevy Duty.

Yes, the transmission can't get into position without removing the
"bellhousing" crossmember, and the other one would just get in the way. I
recommend welding the ends to the center of each crossmember, but only after
ensuring that everything is as you want it. I ran mine for quite a while
before welding them, but the truck immediately felt more solid when I did
weld them.

 2) How far forward or back along the frame should i install the motor? I
have
 the original front end with pdb and ps. Whats the easiest way to get it in
 there right?

Place the engine as far back as the distributor will allow. I'm not using
HEI, which is good, because I don't have room for it. With a clutch fan and
long water pump, my fan-to-radiator distance is just right.

 3) Is it the carb mounting surface on the manifold that is supposed to be
 level?

Yes, but the pinion angle may be more important, and one does affect the
other. If your rearend is already installed, use an angle gauge to set the
angle at the transmission output shaft. If the rearend isn't in yet, you'll
be setting the pinion angle to complement the transmission output shaft angle.

 4) I've seen throttle linkage through Chevy Duty for $60 for doing this kind
 of swap. Isn't there something else that would work to hook the carb to the
 gas pedal?

Yes, go to a "Pick-a-part" yard and get the cable throttle setup from a GM
car. I used an 84 Pontiac Parisienne, but I'm sure there are many others that
would work.

 5) I want to put 15" tires on the front but what size and backspacing have
 you guys gone with that have done a similiar swap?

I have the same setup you do, and I've used several different wheel widths
and backspacing. It isn't terribly critical as long as you don't use too much
"reverse" backspacing. It puts extra stress on the wheel bearings. My front
wheels are currently 15x8 with 5" backspacing.