[oletrucks] 1951 1 Ton (1 1/4 Ton?)

To: "Truck List" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] 1951 1 Ton (1 1/4 Ton?)
From: "Justin C. Earl" <porkchopzz4@netzero.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:40:54 -0500
Hi all:
I have just joined this list after selling a MGB and taking a 1951 Chevy
truck in partial trade.  This truck isn't just a basketcase, it could teach
basketcases a thing or two. =)

It is all rusted out with nearly no floor pan left, the head is off the
motor and it is fairly scorched, there are no "soft" interior parts left,
and there is no bed on it.  It was used, up until a couple of years ago for
logging.  Wow, it was still a workhorse after nearly 50 years.

I want to restore this truck to mostly original condition, although I'm not
opposed to making improvements and modernizations where it will greatly
improve drivability.  I would like to use this as a work/road service truck
once it is complete.

I guess my question is:  Where to start?

I've never done a total frame off restoration although I have been doing all
my own mechanic work for several years (see cars below).  I'm guessing I
need an assembly manual and a shop manual.

So far, the plan is to remove the cab and weld in new floor pans.  After
that, what should be next?

How do I find out what motor I have?  Will the numbers and all be in a shop
manual?  How do I determine if the engine numbers match the VIN?  Come to
think of it, is there a VIN on a vehicle this old? =)  I was told the motor
may be a Babbitt type, and I'm told I don't want a Babbitt motor.  I was
also told a V-8 swap will not work because of the steering linkage being in
the way and the clutch pedal would hit the back of such a large motor... is
this true?  Any sort of retrofit reference guide I can consult on what
motors would work in this truck?

It has the dually rear axle and so I figured it was a 1 Ton but a truck
buddy says they were actually 1 1/4 Ton.  Any truth to this?  Are there a
lot of these trucks around?  All the restored pics I find on the web are
standard single axle trucks.

Maybe this isn't the best truck to try and restore, but since I'm
essentially acquiring it for nothing and am going to do all the labor
myself, I think I can complete the project for something less than a king's
ransom.  I hope.  So does my fiance. ;-)

Any advice is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

-Justin Earl
Cartersville, GA
'51 Chevy Truck
'79 Corvette ZZ4 (355 hp, black on black , Hooker headers with chrome side
pipes)
'69 Volkswagen Squareback (daily driver)
'78 MGB Roadster (leaving the stable...... *sniffle*)