[oletrucks] Cowl patches

To: Ole Trucks <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Cowl patches
From: smiler <Moneymatters@snet.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:54:32 -0500
The archives are down at the moment, but has anyone installed those new
one piece side cowl patch panels from Bowtie Bits ($99.95 each..  one
piece patch from hood hinge to bottom rocker)....my question focuses on
removing the old original cowl piece at the level of the hood
hindges...I know there is lead seam to contend with...cutting out the
spot welds is not the issue...dealing with lead seam main concern.

1. Any special health issues dealing with freeing old cowl from seam
   lead vapors?
2. whats best approach technique to open seam up..ie torch to melt lead?

3. Whats best approach to reseal seam after replacing cowl..lead,
metal to metal, or bondo??

I chose to replace the whole cowl since the cab I am rebuilding had both
doors hyperextened at some previous point badly creasing the entire cowl
length...not just the bottoms which weren't rotted at all... For the
price verses the time/labor cost of stud weld pulling the crease(didn't
want to drill a hundred holes and mig fill either, since no obvious
access to back of crease)) and finishing off the repair. the patches
appear to be a bargain..

Any help appreciated...I will get back to list with some feed back after
the patches show up (ie quality) and comments on installation as well

FYI

Bowtie Bits
6430 N Broadway
Witchta Kansasa
67219
888-838-6887

Patches have louvers on passenger side
No vent on Drivers side , unless you splice one in
shipping est $20.00
$99.95 for each side right and left available

Chet

--
Chet Balint
1950 Chevy AD "Rocky"