[oletrucks] Valve jobs, machine shops, etc

To: "Old chevy truck advice" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: [oletrucks] Valve jobs, machine shops, etc
From: "Michael Lubitz" <mlrba@texas.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 07:59:47 -0600
Tim,

My strong suggestion to you is one that the guys here gave me:  do a leak
down test.  I also have a '46 just like Jim's - a 3/4 ton pick up.

It's easy and it tells a lot.  The apparatus if about $100 and what it does
is pump compressed air into a cylinder.  Maybe someone can lend you the
apparatus like my engine people lent me theirs.  You will need an adapter
for the 216 as the plug size is smaller than most.  By closing the valves
(adjusting them loose in the closed position) and adding the air through the
plug hole, you can listen to where the air is escaping.  In my case I did it
and could here it through the dip stick hole.  I then opened the exhaust
valve (by tightening it a little until it opened) and could hear the air
through the exhaust.  I closed the exhaust valve and opened the intake and
sure enough,  I could hear it through the carburetor.  So my valves were
A.O.K. but the rings were shot.

I am thinking of doing a "in chassis" engine overhaul.  If not, do you want
a nice 216 engine with a great valve job (hardened  seats, new exhaust
valves, bronze liners in the exhaust and intake guides, etc.) cheap?

In any case, good luck.

Michael Lubitz
1946 Chevy 3/4 ton, stock
1948 Chevrolet 3100, hot rod