[oletrucks] re: Is it rebuilt?

To: oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] re: Is it rebuilt?
From: Hargreaves James P IHCO <HargreavesJP@concord.navy.mil>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 10:27:52 -0800
1)  The 400 is the biggest of the F--d small blocks (260/289/302/351/400).
They are VERY prone to cracking between some cylinders as there are four
sets of siamized (no water jacket separation) cylinders.  (The 400 small
block chevy has a similar configuration.)  The 460 is the large version of
the 429 block.  Unfortunately for your friend, F--d uses about 35 different
engine/transmission bolt patterns, so he might be best off staying with the
same block.

2)  Buy from a established, reputable source.  I have purchased a couple of
engines from these "warehouse" rebuilders.  In California the pollution laws
are too restrictive, so these guys crate & ship the engines to Arizona,
rebuild them, and ship them back to the distribution/collection sights.  For
a bone stock set-up, they are pretty good for the price.  The ones I've
dealt with only take virgin (never rebuilt before) engines.  If the pull you
have has been done before, try a LAPS.  The price might be a little higher.
All of the long blocks I got this way had a temperature sensitive tab on one
or two of the soft plugs.  The tab would "pop" if the engine was over
heated.  They also insisted that you boil the radiator and use the acid
neutralizer they provided.  I felt that these were the marks of someone who
knew what they were doing.  I did, however reject one motor from them.  On
close inspection it had a crack in the transmission mounting flange.