Re: [oletrucks] Nazi neighbors, relevant but. . .

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] Nazi neighbors, relevant but. . .
From: MarkNoakes@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2001 18:51:40 EST
Ranting and raving just gets all of us worked up and mad; while many of us
can relate, it's not really productive.  Does this overall subject relate to
the hobby?  Yes, in my case, it has almost killed it, and so I've had to be
creative with how to deal with it.  It is worth sharing solutions and a
request for solutions is what started this thread.

The point should be that, given that this is a common problem for many of us,
how can we lessen it to the point where we can enjoy a hobby that many of us
are obviously passionate about?

Answers seem to include:

1--Get involved in questioning local ordinances and neighborhood covenants
(interpretation).  This goes with emissions regs too. . .work with them;
don't just blast them.  In other words, the hobby isn't something that we can
enjoy in a vacuum.  Rats, my antisocial engineer-type nature hates this part.

2--Try to be as considerate as possible (neat, quiet on off hours, etc.) but
don't let them walk all over you either.

3--Try to add storage that meets local regs as much as possible (I can't even
have a separate shop here).  At least I have a 3 car garage and family shops
200 and 400 miles away that I can use.  Plant trees or add fences where
practical to block the view if that's sufficient.

4--Maybe actually, heaven forbid, get rid of some stuff (There's no way that
this would work with my brother Brian).

5--Consider moving to a less stringent zone.  If the hobby is that important
to us, we need to accommodate its constraints.  It will be a while before I
can move, but these issues will figure into my next house and where it's
located.

6--Be very thankful if you haven't had any of these problems.

Doesn't help those who are stuck for the moment though. . .

These days I have to be very careful about my blood pressure. . .so I agree
with John T at least to the extent that I probably won't read any more of
these posts!

Mark Noakes
Knoxville, TN
58/56 Chevy Suburban 2wd 350 V8 3speed w/OD in progress
59 GMC Suburban V8/Hydramatic looking for a 1/2 ton NAPCO kit  and a V8,
destined for straight stock resto