Re: [oletrucks] IFS brand recommendation

To: "oletrucks" <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] IFS brand recommendation
From: "R Welch" <rwelch@ionet.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2000 08:43:13 -0500
Resources and testing can be minimized with the software tools available
these days - I have an IFS on my 56 TF that was built by a circle track
racer back in the mid-80s.  It uses an upper tube a-arm, lower control arm,
a strut, and a coilover shock - retaining the stock frame.  I have been
thinking about modifying it because I installed lower rate springs and the
truck sits several inches lower than it did - obviously throwing my camber
off - and I don't have enough adjustment on the a-arm.  I could buy longer
a-arms but I'm considering installing lower tube a-arms to replace the
control arm and strut.  The truck currently handles very well and has no
bumpsteer.  However, changing to the lower a-arm will require making some
big changes and the only solution I see to determine if its going to be
feasible is to do the design work with one of the front suspension
applications out there (Bill Mitchell for one).  I don't see any need to pay
someone else hundreds or thousands of $s to do something I can figure out
for myself.

Software tools are just that - they are tools that make life easier and tend
to remove the (significant) cost of trial and error engineering.  In the
hands of someone like Jim Meyer, who also has considerable experience behind
him and can take advantage of the millions of dollars of R&D knowledge
imparted by the "Big 3" in the public domain (why re-invent the wheel?) I
would think he, and select others, competent to design custom suspensions
that are right, work properly, and are safe.

I agree, there are a lot of people making suspensions out there and I
wouldn't trust all of them either - I suggest doing your homework and check
out the company/person designing the IFS you want - if they are good, they
will have left a considerable trail, if not, you won't find much.

This is not a endorsement for Jim Meyer and I don't use any of his products,
although I am considering using his stuff for my 55 Belair.

Bob
56 Cameo
55 Belair Post