[oletrucks] What rear is it?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] What rear is it?
From: MASK4335@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 18:05:11 EDT
Help Gang,
I recently bought a rear end for my '48 3100 at a swap meet.  It is
externally identical to the original closed drive rear that was in my truck.
The seller said it was original in his '57 1/2 ton chevy with 3.90 gears.
While preparing to weld up the spring perches, I removed the stump to inspect
the gears, bearings, etc.  Behind each of the axle gears there is a stack of
clutches.  I know this is a truck rear because it has the 6 lug axles and as
I said is identical to my old one except it is an open drive.  My old rear
had none of these clutches either.
Questions -
1.  Can this be an early posi-traction rear?
2.  Were they an option in '57 trucks?
3.  And most important, how do the little clips (8 total, 4 of two different
types) go that hold the clutches in the housing?
4.  Does anyone have a supplement to the shop manual for posi-traction
rearends that can be e-mailed, faxed, mailed?
The seller said nothing about it being a posi-traction unit and my shop
manual does not cover posi-traction rears so I need some help here.  Thanks
in ADvance.
Mike Klepp
'48 3100
Wichita Falls, TX