Re: [oletrucks] brake mystery

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] brake mystery
From: TENACT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:07:49 EDT
When I replaced the entire brake system (kept it stock) on my truck, the
counter guy at NAPA gave me a two sets of brake shoes.  One for the front and
one for the rear.  On installation I got the two boxes mixed up and put the
front shoes on the rear and rear on the front.

Yes, I know it should have been obvious which was which, but I wasn't paying
attention. I did not notice the mistake until I tried to reinstall the drums.
 The front drums would not fit because the brake shoes were too wide.  When I
figured out the problem, I swapped them to the correct position and went on
my way.  Soon enough, dragging brakes in the rear started.  I pulled the
drums and found that the shoes were rubbing on the drum.  Luckily, I had not
returned the originals to collect my core fee.  I measured the old ones
against the new ones and they were narrower.

I went back to NAPA and the counter guy swore he had the correct numbers and
even showed me.  We came up with a substitute that works, however I cannot
find the receipt to get the part number for you. Let me know if I need to
keep looking.

Skip Boylan
'55-2 Big Window Shorty