Re: [oletrucks] brake mystery

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] brake mystery
From: "ROGER GLEASON" <rogerg@maverick.facil.uconn.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:29:13 -500
> Date:          Sun, 27 Jun 1999 21:29:49 -0700
> From:          Edward Miller <edngael@open.org>
> To:            Oletrucks Digest <oletrucks-digest@autox.team.net>
> Subject:       [oletrucks] brake mystery

> Hi everybody,
>
> Ole Rattler's been having a brake problem for some time: when I drive
> for a long way, like an hour or so, the brake pedal free play seems to
> disappear and the brakes (rear, mainly) start grabbing and not
> releasing.  It's like pressure is building up in the lines.  After the
> truck sits a while the brakes free up and the pedal free play returns.
> This is a stock brake system.
>
> Within the past year or so I replaced the master cylinder, and more
> recently I went through the rear brakes with new slave cylinders, shoes,
> spring kits, and had the drums turned.  I also worked over the parking
> brake cable adjustment last weekend, but the problem remains.  This week
> I'll be going through the front brakes like I did the rear, but I don't
> think they're causing the problem.  I also searched for any brake line
> that was too close to a hot part like the exhaust pipe or manifolds, but
> I didn't see any. I was thinking maybe the fluid was getting hot and
> expanding.  What kind of clearance should there be?
>
> Has anybody seen symptoms like this, and if so what was it and what's
> the fix?
>
> Thanks,
> Ed Miller
> '58 Apache Fleetside

I once had a problem like this and finally found that the wheel
bearing was shot and allowed the drum to rest against the bottom of
the brake shoes... the brakes would heat up and expand causing the
brake to put enough force on the drum to heat red hot... I finally
found the problem when the wheel tire and axle exited out fender...I
never heard any rumble of a wheel bearing going south and the seal
didn't leak ! Just another learning experience...
Rogerg
51-3100 AD Stocker