Re: [oletrucks] How Do You Test a Gas Gauge Sending Unit?

To: <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] How Do You Test a Gas Gauge Sending Unit?
From: "Keith" <kvdurand@mail.esc4.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 00:44:44 -0700
Measure the resistance from the screw on the sender to ground. It will vary
between 0 and 90 or 0 and 30. Not sure on this sender. Note 0 ohms is full
scale deflection of the needle on the ohmmeter. If the reading doesn't vary
or jumps suddenly, then it is a faulty sender. Also, a bad ground from
sender will cause the gas gauge to read full all the time. This would be my
first place to look. Sometimes the wire can break at the terminal under the
insulation and the connection will look fine. Try using a jumper wire from
the sender to a ground.