[oletrucks] How Do You Test a Gas Gauge Sending Unit?

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] How Do You Test a Gas Gauge Sending Unit?
From: Hudson29@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 20:18:48 EDT
        I just got the gas tank back from Mattson's Radiator after having the
ReNew process done and decided to "bench" test the new sending unit purchased
during my brief flirtation with Golden State Pickup Parts.
        The simplest way to do this I figured, would be to go out to the
truck, wire the sending unit up to the harness and power the system up (fresh
6v Optima) watching the gauge while moving the float by hand. The gauge
should read "empty" with the float dangling and it should climb to "full"
when the float is moved up. Wiring in the new sending unit makes no
difference to the gauge reading.
        Putting theory to practice confirms that something is fouled up
someplace. Even with the float fully down the needle rises to "full."
Alternately removing the ground and restoring it get the needle to make a
very slight wiggle, but alas, no movement. Touching the wires together does
not change the gauge reading either. The gauge normally rests on "empty" and
goes to "full" with the key "on" even with the tank empty.
        If I could verify the sending unit is not at fault, I could go ahead
and install it and get the tank in. I have an old Radio Shack volt/ohm meter.
Can I use this to verify the gauge? Am I condemned, like poor Smokey, to
wander the highways and byways of America with no working gas gauge, spare
gas cans always along for the ride?

Paul O'Neil, Hudson29@aol.com
1951 Chevrolet 3600 Pickup Project, See it at:
The Poor Man's Advanced Design Tech Tips Page
http://home.earthlink.net/~conntest47/
Fullerton, California USA
AEROMARK - Need Rubber Stamps or Signs? See:
http://hometown.aol.com/hudson29/myhomepage/index.html