Re: [oletrucks] 350 crate engine

To: <Advdesign1@aol.com>, <oletrucks@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] 350 crate engine
From: "Kevin Lake" <lakek@oit.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 08:49:02 -0700
My mechanic swears by the "crate motors".  They all come with a warranty
and they use all new parts.  Unless you have a local shop that you trust, I
would be leery of some of the stuff that comes out of these big national
rebuilders.  My Boss bought a rebuild from a local "chain store" parts
house about 4 years ago.  Russ pulled the oil pan to change it out (oil pan
was a custom one due to it being a "deck engine"), and noticed a bolt that
was loose on a bearing cap.  He pulled the cap only to find that the crank
hadn't been turned and was scored!  They replaced the motor, but something
like this will shake your faith in the "big" rebuilders.  I think if you
have a local shop that you trust, they could do as well or better than the
GM "crate motors".  Good luck. Just my .02$ worth ;^)

Kevin Lake
56 GMC Suburban/napco