Re: [oletrucks] installing a rear end in a 50 3100

To: RobXR250@aol.com, oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [oletrucks] installing a rear end in a 50 3100
From: Grant Galbraith <trks@javanet.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:42:48 -0400
I'm sure you will get a variety of opinions on your question. I personally
wanted
a old truck more than a rod but still wanted to be able to take it on the
highway. I also balked at $400 for a ring a pinion that  gives only 15 %
improvement. I went with a 235 and S-10 5 speed that has OD. Of course for the 5
speed the torque tube had to go. Anything you use you will have to weld spring
perches on. I used a 3.90 out of a Task Force truck. Still has 6 bolt wheels and
the ratio is just right for OD trans. In OD you get a effective final ratio of
2.808. None of these changes require a single hole to be drilled in the frame or
welding to the frame. I retained all the old parts but doubt I will ever be
putting them back.  This combo is OK for the highway but with straight axle and
drum brakes I still don't want to be dodging traffic in the left lane at 75 and
prefer two lanes when possible. Even on two lane roads I drive differently than
with a modern car and usually give everyone plenty of room and plan ahead. Of
course this invites everybody to pull out in front of this old truck coming down
the road and requires a different frame of mind than the competitive driving
mode
so many are in here in Conn. Other things I added that I highly recommend is the
after market sway bar and radials. Good luck.

Grant 50 3100