RE: [oletrucks] 58-59 GMC emergency brake hardware

To: "'larry jones'" <lajones@uswest.net>,
Subject: RE: [oletrucks] 58-59 GMC emergency brake hardware
From: "Hanlon, Bill" <Bill.Hanlon@COMPAQ.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 07:46:25 -0500
I recently overhauled the rear brakes on my '57 GMC
equipped with a Spicer 45.  It too was missing the
spreader bars.  The "standard" spreader bars from
whatever rear end is in a '57 Chevy are too wide
and contact the backing plate.  Taking about 3/16"
of the edge of the spreader bar off with a bench
grinder solved the problem for me.

On my truck the cables that run from the lever on
each rear brake forward to a clevis pin were
hopelessly rusted (probably why someone had removed
the spreader bars).  I soaked them in the Liquid
Wrench for a week and still could not get the inner
cable to break loose from the outer sheath.

Heavy Chevy had new replacement cables, however the
replacements do NOT have grease fittings as my
originals did.  They also had the spreader bars and
springs.  If I knew ahead of time that the spreader
bars were different on the Spicer 45, they may have
been able to supply the proper parts.