[oletrucks] re-front axle

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] re-front axle
From: "Pat Wilson '56GMC Napco" <crankit@fcmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1999 17:54:31 -0800
I have not done one of these before, however, I am a mechanic by trade, and
after looking thru my illustration book, I can see a wedge
bolt which anchors that pin in place to the axle. As mechanics go, you must be
carefull not to "hammer" to long and hard on a shaft which will eventually have
to continue to travel thu that hole, for what can likely happen is the pin can
become "mushroomed at the "hammer" end and then you will not get it thru at
all.  First thing is do confirm that that "wedge" bolt is removed first, and
that thye pin is not mushroomed, if it is to late, you should still have a
chance to drive it out from the other direction.  If this "wedge" bolt had
already been removed, and it won't come out, that is a different story.  There
should be 2 bushings, chances are that it won't take grease, and hasn't for a
long time, first I would try greasing it first, if it doesn't take grease at
that point, remove the zerk fittings, and with a small pick or screw driver
remove what most likely be a bunch of old dried up grease, spray in some liquid
penetrant, and keep it soaking in, if possible let it soak in over

night, once the grease has been "loosened" up, try to move it back and fourth
and see if it will loosen up, keep spraying those open grease holes.  It's
better to do it this way then to just beat on it
for it will make it eventually come apart, less labor, and won't damage the
parts.  If and when it starts to loose up is a good sign that the pin will most
likely start to come out...with some force of coarse.  If not, then it is time
for "heat" from a torch.  Hope this helps, E mail me if you want to sincerely
Pat

Pat (crankit)

Sent by FortuneCity Mail at http://www.fortunecity.com

Join now and receive 20Mb of free web space and E-mail