[oletrucks] Salvage yard experience

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Salvage yard experience
From: "Antonio R. Tijerino" <antonio@innercite.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 19:29:31 -0700
Following is a copy of a letter I sent to the owner of local salvage
yard. I went to this place last Friday and for some reason I was kicked
out of the place. Honestly, I still have no idea what I did wrong. Just
wanted to share the experience with the list members because negative
and positive feedback should be shared.

Enjoy!!

Dear Mr. Hunter.

Last Friday May 28, I visited your Salvage yard, I was partly motivated
by your ads in the Cruising News, by your Web site and partly because I
was in need of good seat frame for my truck. After inquiring at the
front for the seat frame a gentleman on the front desk suggested I go
and look by myself, I decided to do so, after looking around I found
what I was looking for and other stuff I could use. I was wearing clean
clothes and decided to comeback the next day. I was very surprised when
I was asked to leave in a rather rude manner, I was treated more fairly
by your dog, usually they are the ones with the reputation of running
people out of salvage yards in a rather violent way. I started to wonder
what was it that I did wrong or was offensive. I came up with 4 possible
reasons:

1. Did not buy something on the first visit.
2. My darker skin.
3. As I was leaving I wandered into the room next door, I was attracted
by an old
wrecker that you have there, you see Mr. Hunter, I am an old car
aficionado and
sometimes can not help myself when I see a jewel like that, it is
chronic disease that I have, I guess I should seek professional help. My
recommendation to you if you don't want people to wander into that room
is to put a sign and if that does not work, ask people in a kind manner
to abstain from going into that area, that would have worked for me.
4. You don't care about customers and what customers have ($'s and a
need for vintage parts)
I think you are wasting your time and money advertising about your place
trying to get people there and then when people gets there they are
kicked out. From what I saw, it is my opinion that you cannot afford to
treat your customers or prospective customers that way, specially when I
did not see tons of customers scrambling all over each other trying you
buy your parts. Another reason is that people like myself tend to share
such
experiences with others, I personally belong to a couple local car
clubs, a national club and subscribe to a couple Internet newsgroups, as
a matter of fact one of these Internet newsgroups is working on putting
together a list of salvage yards (Nationwide) that subscribers could use
as a resource when looking for parts. As you can see Mr. Hunter, it is
my experience that treating the customer right is the only way to make
any business successful, I am surprised that after 40 years Gillys has
not caught up to that philosophy.

Thank you very much.
Antonio R. Tijerino