[oletrucks] book about suburban carryalls

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] book about suburban carryalls
From: varanus@mail.phoenix.net
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:43:20 +0000
Ok - I know that ya'll are probably getting tired of seeing my name
but I love old chevys and have since I was just a young boy.

In my quest for suburban carryall info, the realization that there is
nothing - and I mean nothing - available short of a few scattered
pics - I have decided to try and write a book.  Chevrolet Suburban
Carryalls 1935(7?) - 1972.

No easy task. I spoke with chev archives and they are just getting
around to catagorizing their millions of pics.  They have up to
1947 pretty well sorted but beyond that - it might take a while.
I would love to move up there for a year and help them;)

I won't have problems getting the original advertisments but
publicity photos and those so important factory photos are proving
elusive as of this writing.  As are production data that was thrown
away many years ago.

But, they have 3 million pictures to sort through and I just know
that suburbans are mixed up in there - the head archivist agrees.

He went ahead and dug up a factory photo of a napco 58 sub and is
sending it to me just to stop my salivating - I think it was oozing
through his phone.

Obviously, Motorbooks Intl. would be interested in publishing it if
it passes their inspection.  Chevrolet might even underwrite part of
the research expense. The way I look at it, I want that info one way
or another so I might as well assemble it into a comprehensive
resource for all.  These old suburbans are going to be hot items one
of these days once people realize that they were made prior to 1970.
Although I do like them being a secret also.  Fact is - there aren't
that many to go around anyway so they will remain a rarity for the
duration. I have never even seen one driving anywhere although they
seemed to be most popular west of the pecos - CO, UT, NM, AZ, WY, ID,
OR, etc. - and I live east of the pecos.

 What do ya'll think?  My own personal investment will be somewhat
substantial dependent upon financial help I receive from publisher
and chevrolet.  I have published before but these were technical
papers on monitor lizards - a far cry from suburbans although there
is some overlap as suburbans are excellent big lizard
transporters:)  So I don't imagine that Motorbooks
will support me too much. Maybe they will.

I know I can sell maybe 10 books right here in this group. But what
about the other 2500 that I need to produce for a first run on the
press.  Do you all think that regular truck owners would find a book
on this topic interesting?   To me, the suburban carryall is as
unique as they come.  I myself didn't even know they existed before
late 1960s as I had never seen one until about 5 or 6 years ago.
And panel van owners could use this book too so that is good.
I could add panels but that is another big topic in itself.

I would love to include GMC but that info is even more elusive and
there aren't that many jimmy subs out there anyway, although I have
one - a 58.

There is a chance that I might ask some members of this group to let
me shoot photos of their subs but this is a long way off.

So, I would love to hear ya'lls input - especially from those AD and
TF pickup truck owners.  What do ya'll think?

And thanks Mark Noakes and Kevin Lake for all your advice over the
past 2 years or so - I know you both would love this book.

The question is: can I do it?
Eric Pesci