[oletrucks] texas aint that bad, ya'll

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] texas aint that bad, ya'll
From: varanus@mail.phoenix.net
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 17:35:45 +0000
First of all, I am not trying to do anything illegal. I have the
title to my truck and have had it for 10 years.  I don't think I have
any frame numbers and to the best of my recollection, the motor
number and the VIN are identical for all AD trucks. However, I might
be wrong - where did I read that recently?  My engine # starts w/ JP
which is 1/2 ton - JR is 3600 series. But I know ya'll already know
that.

Second, I am just trying to keep it as a 51 even when I do the
upgrade (4x4, V8) since the motor will be gone.

Third, in all the years I have been driving classics (speeding most
of the time;), I have never gotten a ticket.  The texas cops like
classics and they love good ole boys in old chevy trucks - reminds
them of their grandads.

Now, I am originally from NYC, well I was born in Georgia but I grew
up in Yankeeland and moved to Texas from NYC so I have to hide that
nawthon accent.  But, since I really am a southerner by birth, I
don't ever have a problem with the cops.  I never tell them I am from
NY though.  If you are driving your AD truck through any state of the
south with yankee plates - you had better be a little more attentive.
You can't change history.

I will probably get arrested tonight after tempting fate.

Here is what I am going to do. Get the TX DMV to issue me a new vin
sticker and put it on the door pillar where it should be. Then I am
going to buy a VIN plate from Chevy Duty for $14.95 and attach it
where it belongs.  I do need to figure out whether they used pop
rivets or clutch heads.  I might even sand down the paint to the
original color (I know its there) and then attach that plate.  I
don't mind having a rough spot around the vin plate for eternity - I
would rather have an authentic vin plate with a border of original
paint around it then just that vin sticker over new paint.

Why do people remove vin plates?
Anyway, thanks for the lively discourse. I will let ya'll know how it
works out.