[oletrucks] Saginaw

To: oletrucks@autox.team.net
Subject: [oletrucks] Saginaw
From: "Mike E. Gardner" <mgardner@rmci.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 00:38:26 -0700
  am looking for a transmission to put behind a 1961 235 and am
considering trying to find a 4-speed Saginaw for 2 reasons (1) because
of an earlier thread which addressed adapting an overdrive unit from a
3-speed Saginaw to the 4-speed; and (b) because of an article in
Patrick's catalog touting "...how nearly identical each of the 3 shifts
is!  They are spaced just like the engine needs them; putting it in the
ideal operating range."

Two questions I have are: (1) What vehicles and years do I look for to
find a 4-speed Saginaw which will bolt to my bellhousing?, and;
                                          (2) What are your opinions on
this transmission and using the overdrive unit mentioned above?

I have a rear end from a 1955 pickup and am trying to avoid having to
change the ring and pinion gears to drive 65 mph, is using an overdrive
transmission a viable option functionally and financially?

Thank You in advance,
Mike E. Gardner  1952 3100