[Nobbc] MG Reno show

To: North Bay British Car Club <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Nobbc] MG Reno show
From: Don <don@napanet.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2011 10:11:56 -0700
Paul,

I suspected you were having some car problems too.  I was surprised
that you had no hydraulic fluid with you!  When I've taken long trips
with British cars I have a boot full of parts and tools and fluids in
case of mishap.  So of course with a Miata I take none of that
stuff.  It would not have mattered if I had been able to get fluid
anyway as the reservoir turned out to be full.  The symptoms sure
were that of a drained system, something I have had happen many times
with MGs and even Japanese cars in years past.

As for your light switch.  I used to have a '74 MGB and it ate those
rocker switches constantly.  When the lights were on and the switch
was working, I could touch the switch and it would always be very hot
to touch.  I ended up buying a relay and putting it in the light
circuit, and this kept all the amperage from going directly through
the switch.  After that, I didn't have another light switch issue.  I
don't know if BL had relays in their headlight circuit by 1979 or
not.  Most "modern" cars have relays for accessories, but BL must
have been slow in using them on their products.  I also had a '73
Datsun pickup that had the same issue; no relay, and hot light switch
but the switch would just get very hot, but it didn't fail.  So the
Brit car industry wasn't alone on this issue.

I was told about the reason for the traffic jam being an accident,
not due to road construction.

Bee Truck Accident Shuts Down Portion of I-80
KTVN - Kellene Stockwell

Jun 15, 2011

A beekeeper cleaned up after a semi truck accident west of Reno near
the I-80 Hirschdale exit in California.
  Authorities say the semi truck was rear-ended by another truck
around 10:45am Wednesday.

<http://www.ktvn.com/story/14914365/bee-truck-accident-shuts-down-portion-of-i-80>http://www.ktvn.com/story/14914365/bee-truck-accident-shuts-down-portion-of-i-80

Don