Re: [Nobbc] Exempting Hobby Cars from Emissions Tests

To: nobbc@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] Exempting Hobby Cars from Emissions Tests
From: Greg Tatarian <gtwincams@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 16:16:01 -0700
  Does anyone know the relative numbers of private aircraft compared to
collector cars, as well as the comparative pollution levels?
Though my knowledge is admittedly peripheral, my understanding is that
small aircraft put out large amounts of air contaminants, particularly
compared to cars, even our old British models. Yet, I never hear of any
pressure on the general aviation owner to minimize emissions. Whether
it's a matter of practicality or relative levels of pollution, my sense
is that private plane owners are well-placed economically and have a
strong lobby.
Supporting reasonable emissions standards for old cars is complicated,
but should take into account collector cars vs. commuter cars, gross
polluters, etc., in my opinion.
There may well come a day when the motors in our cars are legislated out
of commission, but if so, I'd like to see fairness across the board when
it comes to pollution sources, and not just be singled out because we
are easier targets.
It will be a shame when those of us who have motors that are actually
more famous than the cars (e.g. Lotus Twin Cam which has been used in
many, many road and race cars) must swap them out for low or zero
emissions units, or scrap the cars.
Cheers,
Greg Tatarian