Re: [Nobbc] Infineon Sunday Report

To: "North Bay British Car Club" <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] Infineon Sunday Report
From: "Clif & Deborah Williamson" <hawkview@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 19:59:53 -0700
What can be said about Sunday?

We waited as long as we could for the weather to clear before leaving SR.
Really wanted to take the JH, but it was pissing down rain at 10:00 am and
we gave up and took the Vanagon and our little parrot Roxxie.  Long about
Petaluma it stopped raining, of course, and a few blue gaps in the clouds
appeared along with virtually dry roads all the way to the track and for the
rest of the day.

Drove out to the turn 7 corral area where there was only a single TR4 set in
a back ground of hard core Morgans.

We drove back to the Turn 2 look out and found a nice spot to park right
against the fence.  Did spot 2 MGs on their way over to Turn 7, and for the
life of me I can't remember there names.  It was the yellow and green one.
What's her name, stopped and we chatted for a second and she continued onto
Turn 7.   Hope they had a good time and don't mind my absent mind.  Somebody
help me out here.

Watched Group 5A  open wheels.  These guys are a bit on the crazy side.
Some of the cars with vintage racing tires are a total handful.  And I guess
I will never figure out how they class the cars.  Some were crazy fast, and
others were even more crazy slow...in the same group.

We then wondered down to the CS wine tent and didn't get there until around
12:30.  Not to bright on our parts since most everything was gone.  I
mentioned about Saturday that there was no BBQed food and probably because
of the weather, but that was not the case.  The food as mentioned by others
was marginal at best.  Just not that good considering it was to highlight a
restaurants best. Did get a double scoop of Clover chocolate ice cream
though so it wasn't all bad.

Wandered around the cars a bit and spent much time looking over the
incredible 1912 Franklin Model D.  What a masterpiece of engineering.  Three
single barrel side to updraft carburetors feed a straight six with exposed
push rods, rockers, and springs.  Asked about lubrications and it has to be
lubed by hand in tiny holes in the rockers prior to driving.  The leather
wrapped leaf spring created another question, like why?  Just so you will
know as well, in the old days the roads were not paved so rocks would get in
the leafs and cause problems.  Beautiful leather work.  I wanted to spend
more time asking questions but the cars group was about to start so the
owner had to go.  As beautiful as this car was, it could barely make it up
the hill at turn 2 and had to withdraw.  It also turns out this, Group 1B is
Deborah's favorite group.

Oh and on the way back, we stopped at the Infineon booth.  I won a ticked to
the Indy car race.  Yipee!!!

Could somebody please explain to me what the Heck a Piranha is?  I know, a
Corvair, but what the hell!

My favorite group ended up being Group 3B, which was mostly British,
Italian, and the occasional useless Porsche.  The winner a 1965 Lotus S7 was
beautiful and fast, but was almost caught by what I think was a Lotus Elan.
Holy Crap!

So that was about it until the parade lap.  I was very temped to join in
with the Vanagon, but decided it just was not appropriate.  But I think if
it had been a race, I could have won.  Talk about a snails pace.  I know, it
isn't a race, but Holy Crap!  It looked like even when there was a gap,
everybody just cruised.  We watched the first lap, but almost fell asleep so
left.

We did have a good time even though we didn't see very many NOBBC people or
cars.

So when is the next drive?  Can't wait for some nice weather and fast roads.

Clif and Deborah  74 JH