Re: [Nobbc] Change polarity a good idea?

To: "North Bay British Car Club" <nobbc@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Nobbc] Change polarity a good idea?
From: "Scott Irwin" <riprock99@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:25:18 -0700
I've left my 1965 Spitfire positive ground and have only had a problem with
replacing the instrument voltage regulator.  My type is only available in
negative ground and I had to make one out of modern solid state parts.  The
other issue would be modern stereos and other components not suitable for
use.  I have to wear gloves to use my timing light so I don't get shocked
holding it.

  If you move to a pertronics ignighter type electronic ignition (fits in
the dizzy without permanent modification), there is only one type available
for positive earth, at least when I bought mine a few years back  I'm sold
on those and put them in my '64 beetle and '69 bus.  No more points to
replace and gap, plus the timing remains set as the points don't wear out.
They also will overcome any dizzy shaft wobble, from wear, that leads to
rougher idles.  Cost is about $100.00 for the kit.

Anyway that's my two cents.

Scot Irwin
1965 Spitfire