newsletters

Re: Newsletter Layout?

To: Paul Heuer <paul.heuer@dsto.defence.gov.au>
Subject: Re: Newsletter Layout?
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@home.com>
Date: Wed, 05 May 1999 23:19:44 -0700

Paul Heuer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm interested in the techniques you use to lay out your newsletter(s).
>
> Specifically the 'landscape page folded in half' style of newsletter.
> All I do at present is to create a landscape page with two columns, then
> when it's printed, each column becomes one page of the newsletter. Does
> this make sense?
Of course.  There are sereral ways to make these things.  My opinion is
that the number and freqency determine the amount of labor involved.  I
fold, label, and stamp 125 at a time and I hate these tasks.

> My problem is that (obviously) the document does not flow from one page
> to the next because of the layout style. I end up having to cut and
> paste content all over the document so that when printed, stapled down
> the middle and folded in half, I end up with a continuous text flow.
>
> Is there a better way to produce a document of this format?
My predecessor chose MicroSoft Publisher and I like this product.
> I am using
> Micro$oft Word at present, but I also have access to Framemaker. There
> is no money to buy any other software.
Then you go with what you have.

> If you think I have not explained the problem well enough please let me
> know. As you can see, I am an amateur and don't know any of the
> terminology of the trade.
I'm no expert but it sounds like you need desktop publishing software
but aren't ready to buy.  I think that's the problem with newsletters.
The work falls on the shoulders of the few and the resources aren't
there to lighten the load.

I think that we all learn efficiencies as part of the process.  But I've
never been able to find any major increases in productivity.

Steve Shipley
Evergreen Lotus
Seattle, Washington
USA