newsletters

Re: DTP Software

To: Kdoc111@aol.com
Subject: Re: DTP Software
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 14:20:39 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 15 Feb 1996 Kdoc111@aol.com wrote:

> Just wondering, what software do other editors use?  I've seen some done on
> pagemaker very well, though I'm having good luck with word 6.

Well, I'll show my age here, confessing that over the past 20 years with
various clubs I've gone from manual typewriters and mimeo or ditto stencils,
to electronic mimeo stencil cutters, past a brief sojourn with a tabletop
offset printer (paper plates made free thanks to an acquaintance) and into
various forms of WordPerfect for camera-ready copied at the local copy
center.

Currently, I use WordPerfect 5.1+ for DOS, along with an add-on fonts
package called MoreFonts. While this is certainly not state-of-the-art
desktop publishing, I'm able to do an awful lot with it. Virtually all
the DTP features are there, one way or another; it's just not as
"intuitive" as other packages. :-)

> does anyone use a scanner for photos?  my printer scans all of my photos &
> snapshots into his copier with good results, but black and white only because
> of cost.

I've recently started using a "oldish" Logitech hand-held scanner. It's
by no means ideal for photographs, although current photocopier
technology is such that many photographs can be reproduced, having been
cropped as best one can to fit the space you have. The LogiTech, though,
is great for quick-and-dirty copy of line art and other graphics.

Andy

Andrew Mace, editor
The Rope & Jack
official publication of the Empire Motor Sports Club, Inc.
Albany/Capital District area, New York